Filled the side in. Should look perfect if I can find the right colour paint.
And the bit that was under the sticker should look better too.
Get link
Facebook
X
Pinterest
Email
Other Apps
Comments
Popular posts from this blog
Day 1. Finding that things that join up aren't necessarily attached... A fillet of epoxy between the thwart bulkhead and the side. Not really attached to the side. After removing the epoxy, there is about a 4mm gap. This is the inside, matching the position of the crack on the outside. After removing the paint around the crack on the outside. It has been around for a while, there are 2 different types of screws (Brass slotted screws and stainless square drive). Unfortunately, the screws are all in the front side of the break, going into some timber under the thwart. There is nothing to screw the back part into so it has moved, hence the gap inside. It hasn't been water tight but the wood is still good. While working on the hole, I found the thwart bulkhead wasn't just loose across the top and that it was only attached to the side about half way down from the top. After pulling that clear it is clear that water has gotten in but again, the wood is sound. The lack of eviden...
The end… There were some big gaps where nothing got done… The final substantial thing that got done was fibre glassing the sides to the bottom as this had been flexing open and just painting over it was not going to cut it.
Day 3 Worked on the least delaminated bit of the bulkhead. I figure that I'd do this one first. If it looks OK then I can do the same with the worse issue. I've masked everything up to protect as much Rookie's greenness as possible. Looked like glue was coming out right to the end of the split so I think this is going to be OK. I'll know better after I've removed the clamps and cleaned of the excess epoxy... While doing the top of the bulkhead, I've noticed that there is some de-lamination around the holes the hiking straps are mounted through... might just have to grind a layer of ply away there and fill it. Also made up a bit of wood to go against the front bulkhead to hold the side where it is broken. The bit of wood was once part of my house so is probably even older than Rookie. Have to admit it took me 3 tries to make a piece that fit well...
Comments
Post a Comment